History of Second Baptist Church
In 2015 the Second Baptist Church of West Frankfort will celebrate 100 years as a local church body. It all began in 1915 when a couple envisioned a place of worship in what was then known as Frankfort Heights. They dreamed of having a place that would serve as a lighthouse for Christ in the community. In God's providence there was an empty lot on the corner of Oak and Odle Streets that seemed fitting for the gathering of God's people for worship. On May 5, 1915, the First Missionary Baptist Church of Frankfort Heights, Illinois was founded. In October 1915, Reverend J.D. Hooker was called as the first pastor of the church. Revival services were held from January 23 until February 12, 1916, and about fifty people were added to the church. By March with the church less than a year old, there were seventy-eight members.
In 1923, the name of the church was changed to Second Baptist Church because of the consolidation of West Frankfort and Frankfort Heights.
In 1946 the church membership voted to raze the old building and erect a brick structure at the same location. The new church building was dedicated on November 28, 1948. In the mid 1950's a new educational building was erected.
January 1971, a committee of twenty-five people was appointed to prepare a church constitution. After nine months of work, the constitution was adopted on September 8, 1971.
In 1986, Danny Schnarr was elected to serve on a regular basis and still serves.
In 1999, Brett Beasley was called to be the pastor.
In 2000, the church adopted a new logo, "The light on the hill serving the Light of the world."
At 4:30 a..m on August 26, 2000, the fire alarm went off at the fire station. Second Baptist Church was on fire. Members, deacons, etc. were called, and soon there were many members at the church weeping while they watched the flames lapping away at the sanctuary. The educational building was saved from complete destruction. Later that afternoon, 75 members crowded into the pastor's living room to pray and to make plans for the future. From that moment, the members had a dedication, commitment, determination, and strength to keep "the lighthouse on the hill" shining for Him.
February 24, 2002, was set aside to meet in the new sanctuary. Three hundred people committed to being present, but God had other plans - 506 people crowded into the lower auditorium, balcony, aisles, and anywhere a chair could be placed. It was truly a "Day to Remember".
Pastors of Second Baptist Church of West Frankfort, Illinois